Re: smbfs question...

Alan Su wrote:

> hi everyone-
>
> i have a linux box and a win98 box on a network, with the windows box
> exporting a directory via SMB.  i use smbmount to mount the share,
> which works fine.  the problem arises when i try the following
> operation:
>
>   9:27 [28] alsu (alsu):tmp/salishan99/CVS -> ls -l Entries*
>   -rwxr-xr-x   1 alsu     alsu            0 Apr 17 09:26 Entries*
>   -rwxr-xr-x   1 alsu     alsu          308 Apr 17 09:26 Entries.Backup*
>   -rwxr-xr-x   1 alsu     alsu          320 Apr 17 09:26 Entries.Log*
>   9:27 [29] alsu (alsu):tmp/salishan99/CVS -> mv -f Entries.Backup Entries
>   mv: cannot move `Entries.Backup' to `Entries': Permission denied
>
> basically, mv doesn't want to unlink the Entries file to rename
> Entries.Backup to Entries.  this is essentially the operation that CVS
> wants to perform when updating a working directory.
>
> has anyone encountered this problem and know of a solution?  i could
> be way off here, but it seems like a problem in the implmentation of
> smbfs.

Well here's a simple thing to check:

Do you have write permission on the SMB share? In windows you can have two
passwords... one for read and one for write.

Also note: if using 2.1 or 2.2 kernels you need to use the smbsfx package, that
includes a modified smbmount I think it's called smbmount-2.1.x or similar.

I used to mount a friend's mp3 collection directory via SMB and play MP3's on my
workstation using x11amp. :) But he would only give me his read access password
and not the write access one.

--Brock

---------------------  PGP  43 3C 3B CB CE 4B BF D3  F4 59 BD 97 92 DB 48 9C

   __ _    Debian GNU           R. Brock Lynn <brock@cyberdude.com>
  / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __       www.debian.org irc.openprojects.net
/ /__| | | | | |_| |>  <          World Domination, of course.
\____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\              And scantily clad females.