Re: Pentium bug Q

Thomas Ruedas wrote:

> I have recently switched from SuSE Linux to Debian and installed 2.0.34.
> When booting I noticed the following message:
> Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug
> Workaround enabled.
> Does somebody know what bug this is and what workaround is implemented.
> I have a rather old machine with an Intel Pentium 100 MHz, but I never
> saw such a message before.
> Thanks,

Have a look at the kernel code:
(I'm referring to kernel 2.2.3 but it may be exactly the same for 2.0.34 for
this particular feature.)

See arch/i386/kernel/traps.c
I don't know what it means, but there are two "F0 0F"'s mentioned in that file.
And a function called trap_init_f00f_bug(void)

In arch/i386/kernel/setup.c
there is also a mention of "f00f"
It looks like there is a C variable called "f00f_bug"

I suggest you view these files with "vim" as it will colorize the syntax and
make it easier to read. :)

Besides, vim is maintained by our fearless leader: Wichert Akkerman, Debian
Project Leader! :^)

--Brock Lynn

---------------------  PGP  43 3C 3B CB CE 4B BF D3  F4 59 BD 97 92 DB 48 9C

   __ _    Debian GNU           R. Brock Lynn <brock@cyberdude.com>
  / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __       www.debian.org irc.openprojects.net
/ /__| | | | | |_| |>  <          World Domination, of course.