Re: installing packages -- alternatives to dselect?

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Pat Greenwood wrote:

> IIci system 7.5.3 20/1G 600M Linux partition 60M swap 68030 33.6 dial-up
> stand-alone w/ slink 2.1 installed 3/9/99.
> I have just the basic system installed.
>
> Dselect shows I have selected 105 packages to get. dselect Install shows
> I have to get 526k of 29M left to get. 'looks like wmakerconf-data
> (stable main) is 100% received but dselect won't go on to get whatever
> is left.

What messages do you get when you run [I]nstall?  Have you tried running
[I]nstall again?

Occasionally the Packages file has an error and the available version of a
package may be different.  In that case, it might be better to unselect
that file and run install to let the other packages complete the
installation process, then go back and figure out what the problem is.

> If you mark more than one site to retrieve stable main contrib non-free
> files from, will dselect go back and forth between them to get the
> packages or will it recognize one as being redundant and just ignore it?
>
> Logically it seems like the more effective way to apt-get files in
> dselect would be to mark a number of different sites, even if you're
> trying to get the same files from all of them. But I ended up getting
> here using just http://http.debian.org/debian stable main contrib
> non-free.
>
> I'm going to try to figure out what is left and try to bypass dselect.
> The mail archives seem to be saying to do this via dpkg directly
> somehow. Any suggestions?
>
> My expectation: once dselect Install runs its course entirely and I
> [C]onfigure, [S]elect will show that all my selected packages are
> installed. Currently [S]elect just shows them marked for install, even
> though almost all of them have apparently been retrieved from the site.
> When they are all marked as installed then will I be able to read man
> pages and run window maker, for example? Or will I then have to manually
> unpack installed packages or do something else to get them ready to
> work?

They all get retrieved first, then installed.  Sometimes you have to run
install more than once, although this is rare with the apt method in
dselect.  After the packages are installed, they are ready for use.

Bob

----