Re: Dell Poweredge 1300 can't boot kernel 2.0.36

On 16 Apr, Pete Templin wrote:
 > Although I can't stand the filesystem disorganization of RedHat, I almost
 > want to get my hands on a RedHat CD and try it on my server.  I really
 > hope RedHat _can't_ boot it without a customized boot disk or something,
 > just to prove that they have a problem to solve.

It'll probably work. :(  You may still need to specify the amount of
memory if they are still using an old kernel.  Someone here tried a
RedHat install on another Dell we have.  It appeared to boot once we
took care of the memory thing.  Apparently RedHat doesn't load the SCSI
drivers at boot time.  Basically you specify which SCSI modules to load
after their installation program has started, thus avoiding the boot
time problems.

 > Anyway, thanks for the help.  Still a 100% satisfied Debian "customer"...

Indeed.  Debian rules! :-)

Thanks,
-Ossama
Ossama Othman <othman@cs.wustl.edu>
58 60 1A E8 7A 66 F4 44  74 9F 3C D4 EF BF 35 88  1024/8A04D15D 1998/08/26