Re: Dell Poweredge 1300 can't boot kernel 2.0.36

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Ossama Othman wrote:

> On 15 Apr, Pete Templin wrote:
>  >
>  > I'm trying to set up a Poweredge 1300 (with integrated Adaptec 7890 Ultra2
>  > LVD SCSI controller) on a custom kernel v2.0.36 (added support for the
>  > AIC-7xxx, of course), and I get the following error messages:
>
> I've documented how I installed Debian on my Dell PowerEdge Server
> 6300.  The instructions are at:
>
> 	http://www.debian.org/~ossama/DELL6300

As I expected the moment I read your email, it worked like a champ.  For
some reason, dinstall dumped me back to the beginning of dinstall every
time I tried to load the OS Kernel and Modules from CD (/dev/hdc, not even
a SCSI CD-ROM), but I'm quite fluent with the seven floppy method.

Sad thing is Dell called me back two hours after I received your email to
indicate that they do not support Linux.  Funny how they're selling
machines with Linux (Red Hat, of course) and they claim to support the
Linux concept, yet they can't even troubleshoot a kernel problem (which
theoretically should be distribution-independent).

Although I can't stand the filesystem disorganization of RedHat, I almost
want to get my hands on a RedHat CD and try it on my server.  I really
hope RedHat _can't_ boot it without a customized boot disk or something,
just to prove that they have a problem to solve.

Anyway, thanks for the help.  Still a 100% satisfied Debian "customer"...

Pete

--
Peter J. Templin, Jr.
Systems and Networks Administrator