Re: How to add a user with NIS?

rklosh@rkl.org (Ryan Losh) writes:

> > I'm afraid I didn't get the point with NIS. I installed the nis.deb on
> > all our machines on the local network and followed the instructions in
> > /usr/doc/nis/nis.debian.howto carefully: setting up a master and the
> > clients.
> >

> 1) Add the user on the "server" using adduser.
> 2) as root, cd /var/yp
> 3) as root, type make
>
> The last two steps updates the NIS server.  If the clients could "see" the
> NIS database before, they should recognise the new user you just added.

The problem is step 1 above -- adduser doesn't want to make a user but
aborts with the already cited message:
  | adduser: `groupadd -g 1007 joachim' returned error code 2304.
  |   Aborting. Cleaning upp.
Seems I can't add a user on the server at all. Does anyone know
something about this mysterious error code number?

I'm using the latest potato and kernel 2.2.5. I tried 2.2.1 before,
but the NFS server functions wouldn't work at all.

Greetings,
joachim