How to add a user with NIS?

Hi,

I'm afraid I didn't get the point with NIS. I installed the nis.deb on
all our machines on the local network and followed the instructions in
/usr/doc/nis/nis.debian.howto carefully: setting up a master and the
clients.

But how do I proceed? How to add a user to the NIS database? I tried
with 'adduser' on both the server and the clients, but without
results, as the first was rejected ("adduser: `groupadd -g 1007
joachim' returned error code 2304. Aborting. Cleaning upp."), and the
second gave me only a local account.

Hoping for help,
joachim