Re: How to install Pine

first, do you have the package cpio installed: the .dsc file needs it for
some reason.  What you're talking about sounds like what happened when i
tried to install without cpio.  Another package you need is patch: I'm
surprised that patch isn't a dependency for dpkg-dev, but it isn't and is
needed to use dpkg-source in most cases I've seen.  HTH