Re: Online Metafont graphics?

I�m using wmaker-gnome. Just now tried twm: no difference  in
behaviour.

I�m not using xdm. I don�t get any error messages from
startx though. No errors in .xsession-errors.

I first tried it with tetex-bin 0.9.981113-2 (the slink/stable
version), then got tetex-bin 0.9.990406-1 (from
potato/unstable): no difference.

	/home/stefan> echo  $DISPLAY $TERM $MFTERM
	:0.0 rxvt rxvt

I�m focussing now on trying to make it run in a plain xterm,
with the unnecessary MFTERM (and COLORTERM, just to be paranoid)
unset:

	/home/stefan> echo $TERM $DISPLAY
	xterm :0.0
	/home/stefan> mf
	This is METAFONT, Version 2.7182 (Web2C 7.3)
	**\relax

	*drawdot (20,20);

   	*showit;

	mf: Window support for X was not compiled into this binary.
	mf: To do so, rerun configure --with-x, recompile, and reinstall.
	mf: (Or perhaps you just failed to specify the mode.)

	*end
	Transcript written on mfput.log.
	/home/stefan>

Well, as I said, according to the source package's debian/rules,
mf _is_ compiled with x. My system is configured with texconfig,
of course, so IMHO the problem should not be a missing mode
specification, but let's do it manually:

	/home/stefan> mf '\mode:=ljfour'
	This is METAFONT, Version 2.7182 (Web2C 7.3)

	*drawdot (20,20);
	! Extra tokens will be flushed.
	<to be read again>
        	           addto
	addto_currentpicture->addto
        	                   .currentpicture
	drawdot->...:def_pen_path_.fi.addto_currentpicture
        	                                          .contour.currentpen_path.s...
	<to be read again>
        	           ;
	<*> drawdot (20,20);

	? x
	Transcript written on mfput.log.
	/home/stefan>

I don't understand these error messages.

At a loss,
Stefan