Online Metafont graphics?

Hi all!

I'm trying to teach myself Metafont (using Debian 2.1, tetex from unstable;
same problem with stable tetex, though). According to the
documentation, mf can do "online graphics" when compiled "--with-x"; I
checked the debian/rules in the source package, and it is indeed
compiled this way. $TERM and $MFTERM are set to "rxvt" (no difference
when using xterm). Now I run mf interactively as follows:

	/home/stefan> mf
	This is METAFONT, Version 2.7182 (Web2C 7.3beta6)
	**\relax

	*drawdot (50,50); showit; end.
	Transcript written on mfput.log.
	/home/stefan>

That should draw a dot at position (50,50) (wherever that is), but
I don't get any on-screen output.

Any ideas anyone what's going wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Stefan