Re: Install problem

budlorch@multiboard.com wrote:

> I am installing Debian GNU/Linux for Intel 486 from floppies, since the old
> computer I'm experimenting with doesn't have a CD-ROM drive.
>
> I downloaded the following files so far:
> resc1440.bin
> resc1440tecra.bin
> drv1440.bin
> drv1440tecra.bin
> base14-1.bin to base14-7.bin
> rawrite2.exe
>
> I can find no reference as to what the "tecra" files are for.  There seems
> to be only a reference to "the rescue disc."  Along with all the docs I
> could find, I used rawrite to process the rescue files and driver files.
>
> Anyhow, I formatted my hard drive with a DOS startup disc.  I then advanced
> with the Debian Linux setup procedure through partitioning the drive, using
> the rescue floppy only, which was made from resc1440.bin.
>
> I am now at the Debian GNU/Linux Installation Main Menu.  The highlighted
> line reads: Install Operating System Kernel and Modules
> ENTER
> select the medium you will use to install the system: /dev/fd0:First floppy
> drive.
> ENTER
> Please place the rescue floppy in the first floppy drive.  (It still is)
> ENTER
> "Please wait.......installing the rescue floppy....
> Then : Floppy Error!  The attempt to extract the rescue floppy failed.
> Continue, ENTER.
> I am then taken back to the installation main menu.  ENTER again asks me to
> Verify Filesystem Choice?  "The following file systems are mounted, and
> will have the kernel, the modules and the base system installed to them:
> /dev/hda2 on /
>
> That's as far as I can go.  I just keep repeating all procedures.  Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Bud Lorch
> St. Thomas Ontario Canada

With 89.453% confidence I can say you've got a bad floppy. Even if it's
a brand new floppy. Even if it's a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th brand new floppy.
(I've never heard of having to try more than four before getting one
that works.)

Because of the way the images are written to the diskettes, the
diskettes have to be 100% error free, and what passes for 100%
error-free in the DOS/Windows world won't cut it on one of these install
floppies.