Re: Question about recompiling kernel ...

	Subject: Question about recompiling kernel ...
	Date: Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 04:47:24PM -0400

Quoting William R Pentney(pentney@cse.Buffalo.EDU):

> I'm currently compiling the 2.2 kernel for my slink system (it's
> relatively stable, right?), and I used "make bzImage" to create it. The
> README says to copy zImage to the current kernel image, but should I copy
> bzImage instead? (I just want to be sure before I do it ... the
> documentation's a little vague on it.)
>
> - thanks, Bill

If you use lilo, I would suggest you copy the 'bzImage' file to /boot
with a name like slink2.2.x.  Then add that to your lilo config.  That
way you will be able to use whatever you have now and/or 2.2.x.

Also before you do that you could/should copy arch/i386/boot/bzImage to a
floppy for a backup with:

rdev /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /dev/hdb2  *** Your Partition
dd if=/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 conv=sync ; sync

Better safe then sorry.

HTH

--
Basic, n.:
        A programming language.  Related to certain social diseases in