Re: Cheapbytes Debian 2.1

Allen Wong wrote:

>     Is it safe to say that this is not because of my own stupidity?  I
> checked the files in the CD against the files on a Debian FTP site and
> the version numbers match.  Yet, dselect keeps telling me that netbase
> and a few other packages are not the right version.  I ignore it and
> tell it to install anyway, but it kicks out an "Error 1", I think,
> something about some script not being there.  I then press <return> and
> I am sent back to the main menu.  Ordinarily, I buy from LSL.  Are their
> Debian CDs better?  I bought from Cheapbytes this time because I wanted
> to try Stampede Linux too.

That's strange. I'm not very familiar with the ins and outs of dselect.
Just a thought: I looked up netbase and saw that it's in the base
utilities. Maybe someone else will chime in here if I'm wrong, but I am
thinking that this set of packages is installed after you set up your
partitions and before you reboot to run dselect (Is this correct?
--anyone?). Maybe you can make some install floppies and install the
base system from them, then when you reboot and run dselect install from
the cd-rom.

See

http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/ch-install-methods.en.html#s-install-all-from-floppies

for info on doing this.

I used to buy from LSL too, but they seemed too expensive to me (with
shipping and everything). They also dropped their My Debian products (or
I just can't find them) which you could pick and choose from.
--
                                         __   _
Mark Wagnon             Debian GNU/ -o) / /  (_)__  __ ____  __