Re: Current kernel configuration?

William R Pentney wrote:

> I have not compiled my kernel yet, but I want to, and I want to see how it
> is currently configured. Is there any easy way to do this?
>
> Furthermore, do I really need to? I just want to add SoundBlaster support.
> Instead of upgrading the kernel, could I not just get the source for the
> current version of my kernel and make the appropriate module?

You do need to compile the kernel for sound.  You don't have to upgrade
the kernel.  For example Slink comes with the 2.0.36 kernel you can
compile the source for that or use 2.2.x source.  People seem to have
various success with different kernels.  I have tried 2.0.36, 2.2.1 and
2.2.5 with my Slink setup.  I have found 2.0.36 to be more stable than
the other two.  What I mean by stable is in 2.2.1 one of the programs I
use didn't work properly and with 2.2.5 I lost one of the programs
completely.  Both the problems could probably be fixed but at this time
I'm interested in other "problems" so I run 2.0/36 mostly. If you find
that the newer kernel 2.2.x offers something you don't have with 2.0.x
you can always get the source:)

I would suggest using kpkg when you compile the kernel.  If you haven't
installed the kernel-package yet do so and look at
/usr/doc/kernel-package/README.gz
hth,
kent