Re: Telnet from M$win to Debian (newbie)

On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 08:38:41AM -0700, Harte, Tiemen wrote:
> I can get the login screen but I can't log in with the ROOT account or a
> other account created with adduser.
Because the pseudo ttys that telnetd uses are not in /etc/securetty

You have a few options:

a) add /dev/ttyp0 and a few others to /etc/securetty
   Bad. This allows people to guess the root password. Otherwise they need
   to guess a username, the corresponding password and the root password to get
   root access to your machine, which is much more difficult.
b) login as a normal user and use the su to become root.
c) login as a normal user and use sudo.
d) Install Teraterm Pro, a free program available from
   http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html
   and ttssh from
   http://www.zip.com.au/~roca/ttssh.html
   also free.
   Then use ssh that allows secure direct root login. As an added bonus you
   get a decent terminal emulation. The standard windows telnet isn't.

Nils

--
Plug-and-Play is really nice, unfortunately it only works 50% of the time.
To be specific the "Plug" almost always works.            --unknown source