DHCP routing - HELP!!

Hi, folks --

I have successfully set up DHCP client (dhcpcd) on my Debian Linux box.  I
was then able to make a connection to my Road Runner service through my
cable modem, and reached machines on the server's network.  However, I was
not able to reach beyond the immediate network - I could not see
http://www.debian.org from my machine  In other words, the DHCP
configuration did not set up my routing to get off the subnet.

What do I have to do to configure routing through DHCP so that I can go
beyond by cable provider's subnet?  Do I need them to give me a router
addres - or is there another way?  I have not seen this topic explicitly
mentioned in discussions of cable modem use and DHCP on Debian Linux.

Thank you.

- Jim Campbell.