building lyx

N. nibbled,
> Jim Foltz <jfoltz@raex.com> wrote:
> > I don't want to run the unstable tree at this time, thanks. I'll just
> > compile it myself.

> You could still get the unstable source packages and build the deb
> from them.  Now I really wish I could figure out the damn details as
> to how to do this.  Any one care to explain?  I'm lost in a maze of
> manpages all alike.

> [dpkg-source -x? dpkg-buildpackage -b? dpkg-deb??  Red Hat makes this
>  so easy it's not funny.]

I've never had much luck with building packages, but I build lyx from
source rather regularly.  You need xforms-dev and libxpm-dev on your
system.  just undo the tarball, connnect to the directory, and

  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local

The --prefix generally isn't necessary, as it is the default, but if
the scribt finds evidence of a prior lyx on the system, it tries to put
it in the same place, which doesn't work well for debian due to
different assumptions about the file system (we think :). (there's a
bug that noone's had the time to track down).

Besides, if you complie it yourself, you can have mail-merge :)

Or I could just send you a binary to untar if you want.

rick