Re: setting up DNS

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Lev Lvovsky wrote:

> hrm, maybe there's still something that i'm missing...let's say I want to
> register www.linuxnewbie.com (just an example), and have it point to my
> machine (silver168).  The ADSL provider provides me with a static IP, so I
> figured this'd be possible (plus a friend of mine with the same setup did
> it)...

You do NOT register www.linuxnewbie.com.  You register linuxnewbie.com.
Then, you set up your DNS records to include an address for the host name
www.linuxnewbie.com.  At Brokersys, we give all of our computers real
names, like "weck.brokersys.com" and the use CNAMEs to map the logical
names, like "mail.brokersys.com", "www.brokersys.com", and so forth, to
the real names.  However, there's nothing at all preventing you from
having multiple A records that resolve to the same address or even just
having a single A record to name www.linuxnewbie.com.  (There are even
circumstances under which the same name resolves to multiple IP addresses,
but I won't go into them, here.)

Also, it's possible to register a domain and have a zone file with no
addresses in it.  You might do this to "park" a domain.  (Or, you might
just have no zone file at all in that circumstance.)

If you can, please have your ISP help you set up your domain.  They've
likely done it a lot more than you ever will and they'll be able to make
sure everything is set up on your end (and theirs---they'll likely be
providing secondary name service for you) before you send the application
in to the NIC.  It shouldn't be too much trouble for them to fill in the
application for your domaind and to send you a properly formatted hosts
file for the domain you want to set up so that you can use it as a basis
for customization.  (I don't know anyone in the ISP business who has
written a DNS hosts file from scratch.  Everyone I know got their first
one from someone else and copies and modifies it to suit their changing
needs.)

One of the things that annoy us about some of our users is they
occasionally send incorrectly filled-in applications (if we run the
primary nameserver for a domain, we insist on being TPOC and we insist
that customers be all the other POC's for that is the intent of the NIC)
to the NIC and tell the NIC that we're providing name service for domains
that we've never heard of.  In any case, you WILL want to inform them if
you need their secondary name service.
--
Jonathan Guthrie (jguthrie@brokersys.com)
Brokersys  +281-895-8101   http://www.brokersys.com/