Re: setting up DNS

At Sunday 05:03 PM 4/11/99 , dyer wrote:
Lev Lvovsky wrote:

my ADSL provider is mminternet.com, and my address is
silver168.mminternet.com (the IP is listed above).

You've answered your own question here.... mminternet.com _is_ the domain, silver168
is only a machine on the domain. You don't register each machine.

hrm, maybe there's still something that i'm missing...let's say I want to register www.linuxnewbie.com (just an example), and have it point to my machine (silver168). The ADSL provider provides me with a static IP, so I figured this'd be possible (plus a friend of mine with the same setup did it)...

you don't _need_ to be a dns server. ( You can install bind) BTW, I just pinged your
box, and got a reply. YOur'e good to go.  :-)

hehe, I should hope you'd be able to ping the machine, it's my mail server ;). Cool, I just found bind (was using DNS as a search string).

thanks :)
-lev