gpm and the -S switch

Has anyone been able to get gpm to work with ``Special command
processing'' a la the -S switch?  According to the manpage, it should
work by having the line ``append="-S \"command1:command2:command3\""''
in /etc/gpm.conf.  But somehow the start-stop-daemon used by
/etc/init.d/gpm befuddles the string passed after the -S switch, so gpm
sees the string as separate tokens broken by whitespace.  That is, if
command1 were ``kbd_mode -a'', gpm would see the ``-a'' and take it as
its own command line switch, even though there are double quotes around
the whole string passed with -S.  I have tried various forms of quoting,
even multiple-backslashed quotes in case the backslashes are getting
absorbed somewhere, but nothing seems to make the string get through as
a string.  The one way it seems to work is by actually editing
/etc/init.d/gpm and changing ``-- $cmdln'' everywhere to ``-- "$cmdln
$append"''.  (I also comment out the line above that adds $append into
$cmdln.)

Then it seems to work, properly, but I think every user shouldn't be
expected to edit /etc/init.d/gpm -- that's what /etc/gpm.conf is for.

Besides that, gpm doesn't behave as expected even so, but that's
probably another problem.

Thank,

Jesse

--