Re: Xauth, how to get rid of it?

On 09-Apr-99 Branden Robinson wrote:
> The following is one possibility, and is what I use:
>
> export XAUTHORITY=/home/branden/.Xauthority

This is what I have done after someone suggested it to me.
I first su'd to root in an xterm after starting KDE as "pollywog"
Then I entered export XAUTHORITY=/home/pollywog/.Xauthority
I also placed this export command in /root/.bashrc

> I do that from the root shell.  This works for root only.  If you su to an
> unprivileged user, they ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT be able to read another
> user's .Xauthority file -- the permissions on it should be 600.
Good thing you reminded me of that, so I can check it.

thanks

--
Andrew

[PGP5.0 Key ID 0x5EE61C37]