purge will not remove autofs

In the process of installing and removing autofs and amd, I got autofs
locked up so that I cannot remove, purge, install or unpack it. All I
get is...

dpkg --purge autofs
(Reading database ... 28494 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing autofs ...
Stopping automounter.
dpkg: error processing autofs (--purge):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Starting automounter:.
 autofs

The pre and post-rm script just stop autofs and run OK by hand.

How can I completely remove or install or fix this?

TIA.

Paul Kirschner                                       #include
<disclaimer.std>
pek@logos.res.utc.com
United Technologies Research Center