Re: Xauth, how to get rid of it?

On Thu, Apr 08, 1999 at 01:25:53PM -0700, Ben Messinger wrote:
> Pollywog wrote:
> > I get those annoying MAGIC COOKIE warnings when I su from a regular user and
> > this even happens when I use vim after 'su'.  I am still able to edit stuff,
> > and the only problem is when I need to run some X program as superuser.
> > I saw somewhere how to deal with this Xauth stuff, but I don't remember where.
>
> I am also having the same trouble. I didn't see a reply to Andrew's
> question, so I wanted to add that I am also interested in solving this
> one. I never encountered this problem when I was using other (lesser)
> distributions. Please help if you know the answer. There are some tools
> like gnome-apt that I would like to use without having to end my
> x-session and start a new one as root.

There is more than one way to do it.

The following is one possibility, and is what I use:

export XAUTHORITY=/home/branden/.Xauthority

I do that from the root shell.  This works for root only.  If you su to an
unprivileged user, they ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT be able to read another
user's .Xauthority file -- the permissions on it should be 600.

After you do the above you can run X clients as root to your heart's
content.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |        Psychology is really biology.
Debian GNU/Linux                 |        Biology is really chemistry.