Re: Making fortunes

On Thu, Apr 08, 1999 at 07:19:09PM +0000, Richard Harran wrote:

> into something suitable for the fortune program.  I tried putting a '%'
> (percentage - in case that symbol doesn't travel) on each blank line
> between each comment, then running

It must be a % and only a % - no trailing spaces.  For example (assuming
this makes it through the mail OK):

%
Computers are useless --- they can only give you answers
                -- Pablo Picasso
%
Don't give all your baskets to one egghead.
                -- Arthur C. Clarke
%

If you have other characters on the line, strfile won't be happy.

> 	strfile <filename>
> which gave the following (discouraging) output:
> 	"<filename>.dat" created
> 	There was 1 string
> 	Longest string: 41927 bytes
> 	Shortest string: 41927 bytes

That's the correct procudure - check the format of your file.

> I also tried:
> 	/usr/games/fortune <filename>.dat
> expecting it to just dump the whole file, but instead got
> 	fortune:<filename>.dat not a fortune file or directory
> Could someone please point me in the right direction to create a fortune
> file from my own gibberish.

Point fortune at the cookie file, not the index.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/