Re: Q: User access to hardware peripherals - preferred method?

On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 08:19:47PM -0400, Michael Stutz wrote:
> This works for the CD-ROM drive after doing "chgroup audio /dev/cdrom;
> chgroup audio /dev/hdc" as root (should I have done that?) but doing "mount
> /dev/fd0 /floppy" as a user still gets "mount: only root can do that":
>
> $ mount /dev/fd0 /floppy/
> mount: only root can do that
> $ ls -l /dev/fd0
> brw-rw----   1 root     floppy     2,   0 May 27  1997 /dev/fd0
> $ groups
> m dialout floppy audio dip
Is /floppy listed in /etc/fstab with the "user" flag (IE "/dev/fd0 /3.5 auto
defaults,noauto,user 0 0")?  That's probably it; if it were a permissions
problem, you'd get somthing along the lines of "mount: access denied".  (I'm
not certian: I always run as root.  Avoids permission problems.)

	-=- James Mastros
--
"My friend Data: You see the world with the wonder of a child, and that
makes you more human then any of us."