Re: What advantage; gs-aladdin vs. gs?

*- On  7 Apr, Gary Singleton wrote about "What advantage; gs-aladdin vs. gs?"
> With all the discussion about these two over the last
> couple of days I have to ask what the advantage of
> gs-aladdin is (if any)?  I read the FAQ on Wisconsin's
> home for Ghostscript and in section 1.3 it states that
> the only difference is in licensing.  The only
> difference there is apparently that the Aladdin
> license prohibits _any_ commercial distribution.  If
> this is correct, why would someone choose to run
> gs-aladdin over gs?  I _must_ be missing something.

For me it is the addition by the gs-aladdin maintainer of the HP Deskjet
driver.

>From gs-aladdin package description,
 .
 This package also contains the hpdj driver contributed by
 Martin Lottermoser.

and from the gs-hpdj man page,

DESCRIPTION
   Scope
       The ghostscript device driver hpdj is a ghostscript  back­
       end  for  printers understanding Hewlett-Packard's Printer
       Command Language, Level 3 (PCL-3).  It is intended to sup­
       port in particular the following printer models:

           HP DeskJet 500
           HP DeskJet 500C
           HP DeskJet 510
           HP DeskJet 520
           HP DeskJet 540
           HP DeskJet 550C
           HP DeskJet 560C
           HP DeskJet 850C
           HP DeskJet 855C

I use it with the 660c but it works great, much better than the dj550
driver that is in the free gs.

--
Brian
							   - unknown