Re: What DO you lose with Linux ???

--- Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 04, 1999 at 08:46:04AM -0700, Gary
> Singleton wrote:
> > No they don't!  My wife routinely gets attachments
> in
> > the 300-600K range from her friend back home.
> > Yesterday, her friend sent a couple of files
> called
> > something like easterbunny.exe both about 1.5M.
> > Obviously this is a DOS|Windows executable file of
> no
> > use to her anyway.  Probably a stupid jumping
> bunny
> > greeting card!
>
> The fact that these things are useless to you is
> seperate to their size.
> There are small, useless attachments just as much as
> their are large,
> useful ones. I don't think we should ignore large,
> useful attachments just
> because large, useless ones exist.

Good point but downloading a large attachment, useful
or otherwise, is extremely annoying on a slow dialup
connection.  Small attachments are much less annoying
since my mail still comes down in a reasonable amount
of time.

I have a concern that if it becomes an acceptable
practice amongst users with fast links that they will
not consider those of us with simple dial up access
when sending these massive attachments.  I maintain
that there are better methods of accomplishing file
transfer than via e-mail and that large file transfer
by email becoming acceptable is a bad thing.

I don't anticipate sending any more comments on this
subject; it's getting a little old and I don't expect
that anyone will make a significant opinion change.
It's also not really on topic for the debian-user
list.  Direct e-mail is welcome though (without large
attachments) ;-).

G.S.