Re: ifconfig doesn't show virtual interfaces

I bet you are running a 2.2.x kernel and your version of netbase is from
slink.  It is a known problem.  As you mentioned, the aliased interfaces
will work but will not show up in "ifconfig."  An easy solution is to
upgrade the "unstable" version of netbase (it is very stable.)  The only
reason, I have been told, that the "fixed" netbase is not included in
Slink is due to the fact that 2.2.x kernels are not "supported" in Slink.

HTH.

-Ian