Re: Mouse Trouble

Greg Scharrer wrote:
  >I am having trouble getting my mouse to work. I have a PS/2 mouse port on
  >COM1 (IRQ4). When the system boots is gives a message "psaux PS/2 auxillary
  >pointing device detected ... driver installed". The node /dev/psaux has a
  >major 10 and minor 1, which is what the Busmouse HOWTO says it should.
  >However, /dev/mouse is linked to /dev/ttyS0 (major 4, minor 64). Do I need
  >to re-link /dev/mouse to /dev/psaux, or do I need to redefine ttyS0 to
  >match psaux? How would I do the relink? The Busmouse HOWTO also says that
  >PS/2 mice always use IRQ12 but mine does not. The mouse got detected when I
  >ran gpmconfig.

You don't have to have a /dev/mouse link at all; some would say it is
better not to.  If you do have one, it must be linked to the correct
device, namely /dev/psaux.  If you remove /dev/mouse, simply change anything
that uses it to use /dev/psaux instead.

You certainly should not redefine /dev/ttyS0, which is your first
serial port.

Check the interrupts in use by running `cat /proc/interrupts'.

     "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should
      be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become
      angry, for man's anger does not bring about the
      righteous life that God desires."  James 1:19,20