Re: Script to check whether modem telephone line in use --- how?

On Thu, Apr 01, 1999 at 06:42:40PM +0930, Mark Phillips wrote:
> Oh, and I tested out my idea for a script by using minicom.  First I
> did
>        atm2
>        OK
> but I couldn't hear anything.  Then I did

That just turns the speaker always-on while you are online. If you're not
online, it does nothing.

> Actually, perhaps I could try
>        atd
> without actually specifying a number.  I wonder if this would work??

Yes it should.

> (And I am also curious as to why the  ABORT "NO DIALTONE" doesn't seem
> to work --- I always thought it did abort, but just took its time
> about doing so --- ie only after it had dialed the number and waited
> a while.  But from what Bud Rogers has said, it would seem the abort
> should happen straight away.)

Perhaps your modem is not reporting NO DIALTONE -- make sure you have
set ATX4 or so (assuming Rockwell-based modem).

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3TYD.