Re: Apt: WAS:: GNOME 1.0 .deb package?

*- On  2 Apr, Pollywog wrote about "Apt: WAS:: GNOME 1.0 .deb package?"

> On 02-Apr-99 Syrus Nemat-Nasser wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, William R Pentney wrote:
>>
>>> So, does anyone know if and where I could find GNOME 1.0 as a Debian
>>> package, by any chance? I could recompile the source, but I already have
>>> indeed possible.
>>
>> Are you using apt? Good. Then, put the following line in your
>> /etc/apt/sources.list file (in addition to the existing lines):
>
> What is "apt" and should I be using it?

Package: apt
 This is Debian's next generation front-end for the dpkg package manager.
 It provides the apt-get utility and APT dselect method that provides a
 simpler, safer way to install and upgrade packages.
 .
 APT features complete installation ordering, multiple source capability
 and several other unique features, see the Users Guide in
 /usr/doc/apt/guide.text.gz

The frontend is not done yet but the backend and APT dselect method are
quite functional.  Yes, you should install it.  Get the latest version
from potato(0.3.3) if you are running slink, it does not depened on
glibc2.1 so it is safe to install manually

--
Brian