unable to load isofs during install

I looked and looked and found no isofs module to install in the install
routine. I even did a find on the cd and found nothing. Very confusing.
The way I eventually solved this problem was by copying the isofs.o module
from a RedHat installation I had on another drive. I added the path to
modules.dep and then 'modprobe isofs'. That worked and I was able to go
through the deselect routine. But I'm just stumped about why the install
media is not eqipped with the means of installing from itsself. Any
halfway reasonable explanation would make me feel better like, "your media
must have been flawed". So is it the case that all other debain intallers
see the option to install isofs/iso9660 and then can mount the cd in
deselect without a hitch?  Thanks for your time.     marlon