Re: Do We Need a New Evangelist?

Hi, my DSL just started working again. I've been off the net since Tuesday
9AM, except for an RF modem that was too slow to do much.

Keith wanted to see my answer to George's mail, which I sent to him only.
Here it is.

	Thanks

	Bruce

To: grep@oriole.sbay.org
> On the other hand, why is it so bloody important to have "official
> representatives"?

It doesn't seem to be important for us. Lately I speak just for myself, that
seems to work better than anything else I've tried.

> Why do we even need spokespeople, why does the world need to understand
> us?

Advertising helps get more people working on our projects, or helping them out.
It used to be that when I asked for a Linux driver for some piece of hardware,
they said "Linux, what's that?". No more. Also, it's better to have good
speakers than it would be to have people considering us "ilicit hackers"
building some super-hacker-OS to help us break their systems security. The
techno-paranoid are out there in strength, look at the image they have given
"nerds".

	Thanks

	Bruce