Help! I can't even login!

Hi,

I have a debian system installed on my box, and it has been working fine
for the past 6 months or so. Yesterday, I decided it was time to update my
packages, so I ran dselect, it downloaded about 100Mb of stuff, and
started installing them. Everything went fine, until it started displaying
repeatedly "libncurses.so.4: no such file or dir..". At that point, the
whole system began to behave strangely, so I decided to reboot (bad idea!)
Now, the boot stops at some point displaying that same error, and altough
it shows the login prompt, it says something like "unable to change
tty..." when I try to login.

Any ideas?

Stefan