Re: Where is "/etc/rc.d/rc.local" on Debian?

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Marek Habersack wrote:

> Hmm... there aren't THAT many such packages, and those existing are mostly
> commercial packages that usually have their free counterpart. So, you HAVE A
> CHOICE

Not is business you don't. Putting up with a free package that is less
capable is not an option in many cases when the purpose is to provide high
quality services to your customer. In those cases, the likely result is
"screw the free stuff and get some real software" (which I have heard
before in those exact words).

> Hmm.... well, telling that to the user is the vendor's responsibilty, not
> the distribution's (IF the software isn't a part of the dist, of course).

So they then get rid of the distribution (not the software) and get a
distribution that the software will run on.  If all you can find is VHS
tapes and players, you shit-can that Beta camera fairly quickly.

> But they are REALLY easy! It takes just one night for an average user to READ
> the documentation... We surely don't want people to stop thinkink, do we?

Ok, one night might be 6-8 hours at $200/hr (roughly my billing rate) you
have now cost the customer $1200-$1600 just to figure out how to get it
installed?!? when they could have settled the issue for $50.00 ?!? AND you
have to repeat the process for each different such commercial package?

George Bonser

Support The THING -- http://shorelink.com/~grep/THING.html