Re: update-rc.d

> Hi
> I'v received an answer to my question about managing links in rcx.d directories, but it wasn't what I was talking about.
> The update-rc.d scripts simply removes links AND scripts from init.d directory and I want only temporarly disable
> running some daemons during system startup (like netsysv or chkconfig from RedHat).
> Hm, is there only one solution = by hand??!!

actually it does not remove the script in /etc/init.d only the symlinks in the
rc.? directories.  So if you want the script but no rc entries, remove -f is
safe.  Another solution is to change the run levels a script starts in.  if
you always boot into run level 2, then making things not start in run level
two means that you never see them.

Look at the man page for update-rc.d, it is rather clear here.