kernel 2.0.36 and netgear fa310 netcard

hi all,
i'm using a 2.0.36 home-built kernel with a fa310 netgear card (10-100).
the netgear driver (source) came in the floppy accompaining the card and
replaced the tulip driver originally in 2.0.36 (i also tried the old one,
but the card didn't work).
this is my problem: the card is 'plugged' in a switch on a 100mb port (it's
100mb only, no autosense). the 100mb led on the card is lit. but ifconfig
reports my card as if it were running at 10mb. who is lying?
also: the card works at half-duplex mode. how can i make it run at
full-duplex? i searched the source of tulip.c, but couldn't find any switch
to turn it on.

many thanks