C question

I know this is the wrong place to ask, so I've got two questions now. What is a good unix/C
newsgroup? I think I'm gonna need some help. Now my real question.

I've got a perl script that checks the permissions and creates directories. Now I want to rewrite
the script in C. I know nothing about checking permissions nor creating directories with C. I
don't even know if it's possible, so if someone does know how to do this or a place that might
describe the proceedure I would appreciate the assistance.

thanks