Re: X11 installation

"Favreau, Vincent F." wrote:

> Hi,
> I installed your latest 2.1 version from floppies adn it works fine.
> I am configuring the drivers and mounting them.
> But I can't find any windows manager on the HD... Did I missed something in
> Dselect process ?
>
> = > Why don't I have any X11 files ? How can I install X11 and motif ?
>
> Thanks.

It sounds like you've only installed the base portion of Debian (which is all that
will fit on the 7 or 10 floppies). After the reboot after this base installation, you
should be asked to create a password for root and to create a normal user account,
etc. One of these steps is to choose what type of computer you are setting up
(dial-up from home, network administrator box, etc). If you skipped this step, or if
you chose a type that did not include X Windows, you won't have any X11 files on your
HD. Of course, to go any farther, you'll have to have access to all the additional
files; this means you need some sort of network connection (T1, dial-up, etc) or
you'll need all the files available locally (Debian CD-ROM, on another hard
drive/partition, etc).