Re: X11 installation

"Favreau, Vincent F." wrote:

> Ok, thanks. I think I skipped so steps during the installation ...
> Still, I mounted all disks properly and I am working on ZIP drive, CDROM
> and modem installations.
> I have a big HD and would like to start developping projects that were
> initially made for UNIX and motif.
> What kind of configuration do I need in terms of software packages ?
> Can I download them from FTP sites ?
> Is dselect doing the job ?
>
> Thanks for helping me out. It is really exciting to see how fast the Linux
> community is growing !

Not being a developer myself, I'm not able to speak to these questions.
Therefore I've forwarded your message to the Debian-User mail list..
Developers there can probably answer your questions much better than I can.

One thing I can answer is that yes, you can download the packages from ftp
sites. However, in most cases, you can get most of your basics by using
dselect. Start dselect, go into the Select option, press SPACE to get rid of
the help screen, and press / to start a search. Search for gcc or compiler,
etc, and I suspect you can find a lot of stuff.

Or alternatively, use lynx (or any other web browser) to go to
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages and you can browse or search Debian
packages. If you use lynx, once you find a package, simply right-arrowing on
it (IIRC) will install the package.