recovering trashed /var

I trashed my /var partition (doh!) and now the machine won't boot.
Now I really wish that packages would do something sensible when they
can't find what they're looking for in /var (be it a checkpoint file,
a directory to put logfiles in, or whatever).  *sigh*  Is there some
way I can reconstruct it?  Failing that, can someone mail me a tar
file of the directories so that I've got a bootable system..?

tar zcvf - /var | uuencode var.tar.gz | mail robin.stephenson@blackwell.co.uk

Now unzipping someone else's /var hierarchy isn't going to provide a
complete solution.  Can I get a list of what belongs in /var from the
packaging information..?  As a relative newcomer to Debian I could do
with some hand-holding if this is indeed possible.  Is a reinstall my
best option?

--
 Robin Stephenson
 Heat Oven To 350°F