Re: My ip-ip.d directory not executed

*- On 23 Mar, Daniel Mashao wrote about "Re: My ip-ip.d directory not executed"
> On 22 Mar 1999, John Hasler wrote:
>
>> Daniel Mashao writes:
>> > My ip-up.d directory is not executed when pppd wakes up.
>>
>> Pppd runs those scripts with stdout and stderr redirected to /dev/null.
> Thanks for responding. But why don't I see the programs running? I
> even put in xload script that runs okay if I run ip-up script, but never
> executes when pppd runs.
>
> Is there any way to send the output of pppd to a file so I can debug what
> is happenning.

Don't forget that ip-up and the files in ip-up.d are run as root. And
they are do not explicitly know anything about X display settings.  So
if you are running as a regular user in X(which you should be) and pppd
starts the xload will be run as root and will not know which DISPLAY to
go to and will probably not have the proper permissions.  Also remember
that the scripts must have executible permissions.  Also note that the
the script /etc/ppp/ip-up actually calls the command
'run-parts /etc/ppp/ip-up.d' so ip-up must be executible as well and
must have that command in it.

--
Brian
							   - unknown