Re: more ram and larger harddrive then the bios can take

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Hanish wrote:

> If we have a software which directly talks to the HardDisk
> controller, then It should be able to curcumvent this problem. However the
> boot partition will most probably have to be in the 8.4GB limit as it is the
> BIOS that load the initial part of the OS.

I wouldn't be surprised if you can't have a boot disk larger than 8.4GB,
but you can have other disks that are larger.  I tried this earlier this
year (on an old 486-50 motherboard) and wasn't able to get it to work.
Linux and the BIOS had different ideas about the hard drive's geometry and
they interfered with each other.

I wound up getting a different motherboard, which it really needed,
anyway.
--
Jonathan Guthrie (jguthrie@brokersys.com)
Brokersys  +281-895-8101   http://www.brokersys.com/