Re: to further the desktop discussion...

On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, Jayson Baird wrote:

> In a small sense Linux does have it's own standard. The linux kernel used
> by RH is in base form the same as Slink's.

But that means absolutely nothing if file ownerships change over NFS
because of UID/GID differences.  Have a look at a slackware /etc/passwd
file sometime ... about the only thing in common with Debian is root. This
is my main peeve with Linux and Unix in general, no standard for
ownerships making using the network a nightmare or more difficult than it
should be.

This is an issue that does not really concern the desktop for the home
user as it does the desktop in the enterprise or school where there might
be several different vendors in the net. Suddenly finding out that your
NFS mounted home directory has changed ownership from the staff group to
the uucp or mail group kinda sucks.