Re: Use the source luke

On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 01:53:14PM +0000, Shaun Lipscombe wrote:

> I really really want to install Gnome, but the only reason I haven't
> done so yet is because I cannot decide whether to install by source,
> or by .deb.  Normally I wouldn't worry about this, as I used to use
> another distribution (name not mentioned to protect the guilty) and so
> I had no choice.  I recently installed debian and it is *very* good.
> The dselect program confused me at first, but now I am very familiar
> with it, and have changed my opinion regarding package management.
> Arghhh!!! what shall I do??
>
> Any opinions are welcome :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Shaun 'new debian convert' Lipscombe
>
> --
>
> colonel Legion of Doom Serbian BATF Mossad CIA supercomputer kibo bomb
> $400 million in gold bullion class struggle nuclear cryptographic
> assassination fissionable
>

> --

I loaded gnome, enlightenment, and all of the libraries that they require
from source. It really wasn't that bad. My advice is to use configure to
build them all with a common install directory, i.e. /usr/local/gnome,
so that you can nuke your gnome installation when the Debian packages
come out. (Or if you miscompile everything, like I did. My ESD came
out linked to some alpha ALSA libraries I thought I deleted)
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com