Re: fortran compilier recommendations

On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 08:20:16PM -0500, Michael Procario wrote:

> is the slowpoke and that is not my responsibility.  If I could survive with
> g77 I would do so.  ABSOFT is not that great advantage over g77 in my case
> except for the fortran structures.

I'm using the Portland Group F90 and HPF compilers quite happily.  They
don't seem to offer that big a win over g77 or f2c other than the
Fortran 90 support (and autoparallelisation for those occasions where it
works) - I probably wouldn't bother at all if I'd had to pay for them.

We seem to be getting free spreadsheets, so now the only thing I used
that I can't get as free software is a F90 compiler, but sadly few
people even seem interested in helping improve g77.  :-(

> Have tried the comp.lang.fortran newsgroup. They have significant discussions
> of issues like this.

The best summary of what's out there for Linux is probably the page put
together by Jeff Templon at

   http://studbolt.physast.uga.edu/templon/fortran.html

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/