Help with Kensington Expert Mouse (Trackball)

All,

I am trying to get my trackball to operate with <gpm 1.14> in v2.1.
This device is on /dev/ps2aux and no matter what protocol I try, I get
erratic mouse movements and no button events.  This is confirmed from
<mev>.

Can I change something in <gpm.conf>?  Can anyone tell me what the
'inword() LUT' string in the config file means?  I wonder if  I could
change something in this string to make things work better.

This trackball reports 'PS/2 Port PDP Ballpoint Protocol' from the help
in Win95.  The help from DOS suggest installing as 'Expert, Thinking,
Kensington, IBM or MS' mouse  but the various MS protocols are n/g.

Any help with this would be appreciated.  This trackball is a superb
device and I don't want to give it up!!!

 I am just getting my feet wet in Linux but what I see so far I like.  I
am comfortable with the command line on DOS, OS/2 Warp, don't like Win95
even tho its on this machine. I did some beta with DR/DOS & Concurrent
PC DOS (boy, that dates me!) and very little C programming long ago
(Turbo C, v3.1 & Borland C++ ).

I've got Red Hat 5.2 & Debian 2.1 both on this machine using Boot Magic
& Partition Magic each in a 1 meg partition for a small evaluation.

Thanks in advance...

..Allen