Re: Static binaries :how to create

The main trouble is you have to create an app from source to statically link it. But
yes, you're right. I'd think twice about using lots of static apps though. Not only
does it increase your disk space usage it also increases your memory usage. I suspect
your main problem is that you have apps installed which are non-debian and therefore
don't have dependencies on these old libraries. If you did have packages and they
depended on old libraries then the old libraries would've been kept around. I myself
had an app which was linked against libc4. It wasn't a package and although the
library hadn't been deinstalled automatically I made the mistake of manually removing
it since I couldn't remember why I needed it. Of course a week or two later I
discovered why...

It would be great if there were an easy (graphical?!) way to generate 'stub' packages
for apps which haven't been debianized so we could keep all of our shared libraries
straight.