Static binaries :how to create

hello all,

Ive come accross a couple of static binaries in my search for windoze
replacements, and since i download the occasional source to apps not in
deb's i was wondering how one makes these.

Now from what i understand they do not depend on lib's on my system as
they are compiled in - thus making them much bigger - is this right.

Anyway i have some favorite apps and thought if i can make static
version myself then i dont have to worry about them breaking when i
upgrade in future, which most invariably do
and not all of these are kept up to date with newer libs.

<sigh> i had hoped that with linux id escape that loathsome M$ style dll
hell goes not.

With my latest upgrade ( running potato ) i broke star office, and now
question wheter if i buy a commercial app or game im going to eventually
have to chuck it, or fork out for a upgrade , Since no doubt newer apps
will require newer lib's etc <sighh>

Im somewhat dissapointed to find im still stuck with that sort of mess
:( Id hoped to escape it with linux. Of course its ussually not a
problem with free source but ive found unless those are kept up to date
eventually they just break as well.

( Yes i know update them yourself etc, id like to learn c++ but linux
seems to be mostly c, so ive settled on learning the bash shell...
first, then i'll aim higher :) )

Anyway linux now is my preffered OS though ive still got some windoze
apps i have not found replacements for.  ie Quicken, diary, several
games .
And yes i know about wine ( great effort :) )  ( windoze does it better
)- i just want to lose windows completely.