Re: Any way to read docs in base64?

On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 19:02:57 +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I sometimes get email with docs attached in base64 - presumably some
> Windows format?

No. Email isn't guaranteed to be 8-bit clean in general; thus, binaries need
to be encoded to ensure they don't get mangled. Base64 is one of the
encodings used in MIME (Multimedia Internet Mail Extensions).

> Is there any way to read this in linux?

Most email clients (for example mutt, elm-me+) support it. If you want to
process it manually, get a tool like metamail or mpack.

HTH,
Ray
--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,